HELLO, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE If you’re looking for information on skincare for men, you’ve come to the right place. Well according to research, most guys don’t spend a lot of time worrying about their faces. Whoever reading this, you’re doing great and you’re beautiful while we break the stigma that men really don’t need skincare. After all, why should girls have all the fun??
A recent study by consumer research firm NDP Group found that only a quarter of men actually take the time to use skin care products regularly. Based on the results of the study, it appears that most of the guys just splash water on their faces, shave and that’s it.
However, men should really think twice about consistent skincare regimens, especially if they are in their twenties or thirties.
Proper and regular skincare products not only improve and maintain your appearance, but can also delay a wide variety of skin conditions that occur due to ageing, pollution, stress, and prolonged exposure to the sun.
BASIC SKIN KNOWLEDGE
Understanding skin – How does male and female skin differ?
Men want their skin to look and feel healthy. Just like women, they deal with issues such as skin sensitivity, acne, and ageing, but skin varies according to gender as the male skin is 20% thicker, oilier and ages differently. Regular shaving affects too.
While every man’s skin is unique, the hormone testosterone determines the masculine characteristics of male skin and gives it a different structure to female skin on both the face and the body. Male skin is generally thicker approx 20% and contains more collagen and has a tighter and firm appearance.
What is a good skincare routine for young men?
Now that we have understood the basic skin knowledge, lets us quickly agree to the fact that men’s skin isn’t as different from women’s skin as you think apart from the fact that men have facial hairs, obviously.. it is equally important for men to have a proper routine and take care of their skin too.
Let me quickly list down a few simple things that can be done to have great skin and slow down the ageing process. Here we go then…
- Drink lots and lots of water. At least 3 litres every day.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins, and cut back on fried and processed foods.
- Have enough sleep, work out daily and do yoga and pranayama.
- Use a good face wash formulated for your skin type. You do not have to use a face wash formulated for men, in particular, women’s face washes are gentler and do a good job too.
- Use an alcohol-free toner after washing your face. Rosewater and toners containing tea tree oil. For extra effect, store your toner in the refrigerator.
- Use a moisturizer, even if you have oily skin. Gel-based moisturizers are great for oily skin men. If you have sensitive skin, you can use aloe vera gel.
- Use a good sunscreen with an SPF 30 and at least an SPF 50+ if you live in a tropical country. This is the best anti-ageing product! Trust me.
- Use a good exfoliating scrub twice a week, it really exfoliates your skin and removes dead skin cells, sebum, blackheads, whiteheads, and really cleans your pores deeper.
- If you shave often or on a regular basis use an aloe vera gel aftershave. This works way better than the aftershave lotions.
- Use the old CTM method which is (Cleansing – Toning – Moisturizing) as per your time schedule convenience.
Let me quickly tell you few things to avoid in your skincare routine.
- Avoid unhealthy habits like eating junk food, skipping meals, skipping sleep etc.
- DO NOT smoke and avoid consuming alcohol in excess.
- Avoid using too many products at the same time. That’s the easy trap we all fall into.
- Avoid over-exfoliation.
- I’ve just taught you the CTM method, follow that and avoid applying products in the wrong order.
- Avoid applying makeup with dirty brushes.
- Avoid touching your face over and over again. Our hands have the highest number of germs and bacterias, as constantly touching, might make your skin dull and dirty.
- DO NOT pick and DO NOT touch the pimples with the nails.
- Do not use medications to beautify your skin.
If your skin is non-allergic then go in and start your routines as per the steps mentioned above, depending on your age you won’t see any difference in your skin until 28 days which is the amount of time it takes for your skin to turn over.
Skincare is Self Care and should be fun! It’s the largest and most exposed organ in the body! We should be taking care extra care of it💕
Have Fun on your Skin Journey!